Cuts to physical therapy Medicare payment will start Jan. 1, 2021 unless Congress takes action.
U.S. Representatives have introduced H.R. 8702, bipartisan legislation to provide critical relief to providers who are scheduled to receive Medicare payment cuts next year. The Holding Providers Harmless From Medicare Cuts During COVID-19 Act of 2020 would ensure that payments to these providers — including physical therapists — are not cut and kept stable for the next two years.
Private practice physical therapists provide cost-effective, safe physical therapy in community-based settings. In the midst of a public health emergency, a 9% cut is likely to force providers to lay off staff, limit hours, or worse-yet close clinics permanently—significantly disrupting access to care as well as the local economy.
Please consider taking two minutes to contact your members of Congress and urge them to:
- Contact House/Senate party and relevant committee leadership to ask them to add H.R. 8702 to any legislative packages moving during the lame duck session.
- You can find your Senator’s name and contact information at: https://www.illinoispolicy.org/maps/illinois-senate/
- House members – please cosponsor H.R. 8702.
- You can find a directory for the House of Representatives in Illinois at: https://www.house.gov/representatives#state-idaho
- ** Please note: while there is no corresponding Senate companion bill at this time, we are asking that you share information on H.R. 8702 with your Senators so they are aware of it, and the need to include in any year-end legislative vehicle.
Sample Message: (please copy and send to your Senator and/or Representative)
I ask for your support and to add H. R. 8702 to any legislative packages moving forward during the lame duck session. In the middle of a global pandemic, now is not the time to cut Medicare payments for physical therapists. Please support H. R. 8702.
Call or email your members of Congress to show them that we need them to #FightTheCut. The middle of a global pandemic is not the time to cut payment for physical therapy services. Thank you for your advocacy and support!
The Northern Rehab Team