Is Your Backpack Making The Grade?
Before you know it, students, teachers & faculty will be starting back to school! Many of us will return to our regular schedules as we head back to school, college, and work, it’s important to remember the following tips when shopping for a new backpack and the proper way to wear backpacks to avoid strain or injury.
Improperly worn backpacks can cause neck, back, shoulder pain and muscle strain. Narrow straps that dig into shoulders can potentially cause circulation issues and tingling or numbness in the arms and hands. Remember these following tips to ensure you have the best fitting backpack and to help avoid strain or injury.
• Make sure the backpack is light weight
• Search for wide, padded straps
• Look for multiple compartments so weight can be distributed evenly
• Consider hip and waist belts to help distribute weight to large muscles and joints
• Limit the weight to a maximum of 10% of your body weight
• Distribute weight evenly using all compartments
• Pack only the essentials; leave everything else at home, school or work
If you are experiencing neck, back, or shoulder pain, please contact us to schedule an evaluation today!