The physical therapist uses skilled passive movements of the joints and related soft tissues with varying degrees of force and velocity to optimize therapeutic effects. Manual therapy has been found to be extremely effective at treating painful joint and muscle conditions of the spine and extremities especially when it is combined with specific therapeutic exercises provided by a skilled physical therapist.
Ideal for patients with the following:
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Back pain
- Knee pain
- Neurological impairments
- Balance and gait disorders
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Fibromyalgia and arthritic conditions
- General strengthening and conditioning
Aquatic Physical Therapy is held at the Kishwaukee Family YMCA in Sycamore. Steps inside the pool allow for easy entry and exit. A lift chair is also available. Swimming is not required to participate in aquatic physical therapy.
Rob Larkins, Northern Rehab’s Aquatic Physical Therapy specialist
Tuesdays/Thursdays 12:00 – 1:30pm. Other times are available by appointment. Please call our DeKalb Lincoln Highway clinic at 815.756.2369 for additional information.
Ideal for patients with:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spina Bifida
- Genetic disorders
- Developmental Delay
- Palgiocephaly and Torticollis
- Sports injuries
- Orthopedic disabilities and injuries
During the physical therapy session, treatment may include:
- Balance and coordination
- Range of motion and mobility exercises
- Strength building exercise and activities
- Hands-on techniques
- Posture and positioning
- Motor learning
- Developmental tasks: crawling, walking, running, jumping, stairs
Janet Sarver, Northern Rehab’s Pediatric Physical Therapy specialist
Approximately 80% of American workers will suffer from back or neck pain during their lifetime. Physical therapy is an excellent alternative and effective treatment for many of these conditions. The physical therapists at Northern Rehab treat many spinal conditions such as sciatica, sacroiliac disorders, disc hernations, spinal stenosis, whiplash, post-surgical conditions, neck pain, back pain, headaches, thoracic outlet syndrome, sprains/strains, and degenerative disorders.
Subsequent therapy sessions will focus on your postural awareness and re-establishing proper muscular control of your neck and jaw. In addition, the therapist may also utilize physical agents of heat, cold, ultrasound or electrical stimulation to decrease pain and muscle spasm. Massage and mobilization techniques will be utilized as necessary to restore natural range of motion of the neck and temporomandibular joint.
With physical therapy treatments you will experience normal mobility and function of the TMJ and neck. Your therapist will also instruct you on independent postural awareness, self-treatment, and exercise techniques that will help you control TMJ symptoms in the future.
Injury Assessment & Rehabilitation
In the event an athlete suffers an injury or is recovering from surgery, Northern Rehab’s goal is to return the athlete to sports quickly and safely. We use a combination of gentle hands-on treatment, therapeutic exercise, and performance enhancement drills to improve strength and skill. Your exercise program will work on sport specific exercises to help train your whole body for competition and injury prevention.
A concussion is a mild form of traumatic brain injury (TBI) caused by sudden or violent movement such as whiplash or a blow, jolt, or jarring to the head or neck. The most common causes of concussions are sports injuries, car, work and playground accidents, and falls. Physical therapists can evaluate and treat many concussion problems to help alleviate symptoms and restore health and the ability to return to regular activities.
The Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Test (ImPACT) is the most widely used computerized neurocognitive test for concussions. This test is completed to establish a baseline score of brain function for students at many local high schools including DeKalb, Sycamore and Genoa. The ImPACT test is also used post-injury to assist in assessment and diagnosis of concussion, to help establish an effective treatment plan, to measure progress following treatments, and to assure the athlete is ready to return to sport.
DeKalb Lincoln Highway Clinic
Kristin Christian, Northern Rehab’s ImPACT Certified Physical Therapist
Sports Specific Video Analysis
A Northern Rehab therapist will record and analyze the athlete’s walking / running gait, swinging, throwing or lifting form, with recommendations on ideal motion correction and exercises to enhance performance. Specific exercises will be suggested based on videotaped findings.
At Northern Rehab, kinesiotape may be used as an adjunct to your physical therapy treatment. Kinesiotape is a treatment used by physical therapists to help decrease pain and swelling, improve the quality and quantity of range of motion to the area being addressed, and improve muscle recruitment with active motion. The special elastic qualities of kinesiotape applied over the skin assist and give support to the muscles and prevent over-contraction of the muscles. The kinesiotaping method has been around for over 30 years, but has been popularized by use with professional and Olympic athletes. Your specially trained physical therapist at Northern Rehab will determine if kinesiotape is appropriate for treating your injured area.
Individual Conditioning Programs
Northern Rehab conditions and improves an athlete’s performance in their sport or activity.
Strength, flexibility, balance and power are evaluated by one of our trained physical therapists. We then design a functional exercise program for your team, including strength and cardiovascular training, stretching, and other performance enhancement techniques. Proper warm-up and injury prevention exercises will be reviewed and provided for your use.
Athletes achieve their personal best with an individualized Northern Rehab training program and hands-on instruction.
We offer a wide range of customized preventative and rehabilitation programs designed to meet your specific needs.
Education & Prevention
- Work Site Analysis – Task demands and work station set-ups are analyzed, often resulting in more productive techniques, improving employee and work environments. A review of medical management policies can result in cost effective recommendations.
- Employee Education – Group training is provided for your managers and labor force, both production workers and office staff.
- Pre-employment/Post-hire Testing – Is a new worker physically able to do the job? Northern Rehab will help you define the parameters and perform tests to objectively answer the questions.
- On-Site Clinics – Regular monthly visits provide the insight to analyze aches and pains early on, and to offer work environment suggestions.
- Clinical Physical Therapy – After injury or illness, a worker has impaired functional abilities due to weakness, pain or limited motion. With physical therapy, restrictions are decreased or eliminated so the worker may safely and quickly return to work.
- Work Conditioning – Injured employees that have been off work for extended periods often benefit from a program emphasizing work simulation along with physical reconditioning.
- Work Hardening – This highly structured, goal oriented, individualized treatment program includes a psychosocial screening to identify the client’s behavioral needs.
- Functional Capacity Evaluation – An evaluation of an injured worker provides information on the individual’s work capabilities and limitations. The client’s level of participation, work behaviors, cooperation, and effort are also assessed as part of the FCE.
Northern Rehab Physical Therapy Specialists is an independent, privately owned Physical Therapy practice. We are committed to performing fair, objective, and concise evaluations that are free of bias.
Physical therapy was exactly what I needed to overcome my TMJ/neck/shoulder issues. I highly recommend Ken for his expertise and manipulation skills (he has a gifted touch).
The front desk is very nice and fun, too! Overall, Northern Rehab is AWESOME! I’ll be back in the future should I need to. Michelle H.